Friday, May 8, 2009

The Final Frontier


This post is long overdue.

On May 1, 2009, Megan Kaylynn Bushman officially and legally became the daughter of Kevin and Frances Bushman. What a happy day that was. Our attorney, Margherita, was so helpful and supportive throughout the whole process. She kept us constantly in the loop and was very thorough in her explanation of things.

The whole thing was so brief. We walked into the courtroom and answered questions before the nicest judge I had ever met. I think our wait time was longer than the actual proceeding. And before we knew it, it was done; she was ours.

I've spent the last few months worrying so much about how everyone else felt and would feel about this situation and never one stopped to think about how I would feel. I never thought that I would have doubts and second thoughts about it when I saw my sister-in-law break down. I never stopped to think about the fact that I would have to accept her as my daughter and learn to be her mother just like she would have to learn that I was her mother.

There certainly are feelings of inadequacy and insecurity that go along with adopting. I didn't get to carry my daughter and start getting to know her for 9 months. I didn't get to feel her inside of me. She didn't get to know my voice or my smell or my movements. All of these things were foreign to her, although I think she's picked up
on them very quickly. However, I'm learning and earning the role of mother. I understand, now, my divine role as such. I am humbled because nothing I do is for me anymore. Everything is now about her and her well-being. My little angel who came to us fresh from heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment